At Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church, our focus on social justice has a two-pronged approach through our Mission Team and our Kairos Ministry.
The Mission Team allocates Grace Covenant resources (dollars and volunteer hours) to local, national and international service organizations which focus on homelessness, hunger alleviation, children’s advocacy and support for developing countries. Mission supports national and international mission trips and seeks other opportunities for members to be involved in meaningful work that makes a difference, such as Grace in Action, which provides local service opportunities, quarterly on Saturday mornings, to members of all ages.
Kairos is a ministry team of advocacy and action. Our efforts toward hunger alleviation include creating Grace Garden to provide fresh produce to a local food bank, sustained support of national and international programs to feed the hungry, and sales of fair trade products every Sunday. Our action and advocacy for peace issues, immigration reform, LGBTQIA rights and prison ministries is also local, denominational (Presbyterian Church USA) and national. One of our greatest passions is Creation Care through programs of energy efficiency for our own church building.
The following priorities are just a sample of the service work that inspires us and truly brings happiness to our congregation through serving others. By working with others towards social justice, we see the many faces of God in our own neighborhoods and throughout the world.
- Red Bag Project Receiving Center: An annual event where members donate Christmas gifts to 40+ children in the foster care system and serve as the receiving center for countywide distribution.
- Rosehill Elementary School Caring for Kids Partnership
- PC(USA) Earth Care Congregation: Earth Care Congregations are congregations that have committed to the “Earth Care Pledge” and accomplished a specific number of actions toward caring for God’s earth in four categories: worship, education, facilities, and outreach.
- Sustainable Sanctuaries: Sustainable Sanctuary Coalition encourages, assists, and partners with people of faith and faith groups to preach, teach, model, and advocate for sustainable living and ecological justice for all creation.
- Heart of America Hunger Crop Walk: The Kansas City Heart of America CROP Hunger Walk is among the top ten CROP walks in the country, raising money and awareness of hunger in the KC area and around the world.
- KCK Hot Lunch Program
- Grace Garden: GCPC Gardeners provide home grown food to a local church food pantry grown in this communal garden.
- Johnson County Christmas Bureau: The mission of the Johnson County Christmas Bureau (JCCB) is to provide warmth and support, during the winter holiday season, to low-income Johnson County, Kansas families; increase awareness and understanding of poverty in Johnson County, Kansas; and give neighbors an outlet to help neighbors. They serve between nearly 12,000 low-income neighbors each year.
- Uplift: Uplift dedicates their efforts toward the support of those who are homeless, delivering those basic human needs, care and compassion that are not usually received from other organizations.
One Homeless Night
Mission - Homelessness
- Johnson County Interfaith Hospitality Network: An interfaith homelessness intervention program that helps restore stability to situationally homeless families in Johnson County. IHN has fed, housed, educated and empowered hundreds of wonderful people, thanks to their network of 35 congregations and individual supporters.
- One Homeless Night: One Homeless Night is an annual public awareness campaign where kids, adults, families, and teams all gather to spend a night sleeping out rough, to bring awareness to the issues of youth homelessness and express a gesture of solidarity to the youth in our community who have no place to stay.
Mission – National and International
- Arab Presbyterian Fellowship: Arab Christian Fellowship, led by Pastor Amgad Megally, is a community of believers from various Arab countries who are reaching out to Arab people in the KC area with the love of Jesus Christ.
- Guatemala Maya Quiche Partnership: The partnership is an on-going relationship between Heartland and Maya Quiché Presbyteries.
- Intergenerational International Mission Trip
- Mission And Music Youth Trips
- Prison Ministries
- LGBTQIA Issues